Tue, Oct 01|
Made in NY Media Center by IFP
Tales from the Set
You are invited to attend this event from the Women Independent Producers where seasoned producers share insights on what to do, and what not to do, for your production.
Time & Location
Oct 01, 2019, 6:30 PM – 9:00 PM
Made in NY Media Center by IFP, 30 John St, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
About the Event
The Women Independent Producers bring to you the inaugural event of Tales from the Set. This lively, interactive conversation series shines a spotlight on producers, the unsung heroes of a production who work hard to support the vision of the director from development to distribution. A panel discussion will be a moderated by Jane Applegate, and features four accomplished WIP members - Jenette Kahn, Aliki Paraschis, Trevite Willis and Shruti Ganguly. From the outrageous to the courageous, they will their share production war stories, insight and strategies for keeping the project from falling apart. The event is co-sponsored by NYWIFT. Light rereshments to follow. The event is free and open to the public.
The October panelists scheduled to appear include:
- Trevite Willis is currently an executive producer on Forty Year Old Version directed by Radha Blank and produced by Lena Waithe. She is also producing Alabamaland, directed by April Dobbins, Maya and her Lover, directed by Nicole Sylvester, Listen to my Heartbeat, directed by Nyjia July, and False Start, directed by Kareem Mortimer. Willis previously produced the human trafficking drama Cargo, and the supernatural thriller Blood Bound. In 2018, Willis launched the Southern Fried Film Festival in Huntsville, Alabama with co-founder, Kelley Reischauer.
- Jenette Kahn is a founding partner of Double Nickel Entertainment, best known for the films A Kid Like Jake and Clint Eastwood’s Gran Torino. Prior to Double Nickel, Jenette was the President and Editor-In-Chief of DC Comics and later MAD Magazine. She introduced the graphic novel to America and transformed comics into a sophisticated art form. Jenette is on the board of Harlem Stage and an advisor to Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane’s New York Live Arts.
- Aliki Paraschis is an award-winning producer committed to creating projects with strong stories. Many of these are developed through Adiuvo Production, which she founded in 2010. She has worked on such brands as “Oprah’s Masterclass,” the feature film Dark, and the “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” new fan web series, produced with Codebreaker. Adiuvo Productions has won awards for films and commercials in Los Angeles, New York, Berlin, Cannes, and in Aliki’s hometown of Athens, Greece.
- Shruti Ganguly is an award-winning filmmaker based in NYC and Oslo. She was a member of President Obama’s ECCO Committee of 30 leaders and creators in entertainment, and chaired the Asian Caucus. She has produced films screening at Sundance, Tribeca, Venice and Berlin and is currently developing a new narrative series with Killer Films, founded by Christine Vachon.
- Jane Applegate (Moderator) is a producer of award-winning independent films, a film professor and production consultant. She has produced several films written and directed by women, including Erica Fae's,To Keep the Light, a period drama about a female lighthouse keeper fighting for her job set in 1860’s Maine. Jane teaches film financing at the Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema.